Broadly speaking the world of pumps is divided into positive displacement and centrifugal, but which is best. In the Pump & Machinery ‘Advantage series’ we look at the advantages and disadvantages of different types of pump. This week we look at centrifugal pumps. Centrifugal pumps are by far the most common pumps in the world and almost every process you can think of that involves water, from your house, to car, to work, to municipal, all use centrifugal pumps. So what makes centrifugal pumps so popular:
· In a word ‘Efficiency’ – for every kW of power put into the motor the pump can produce almost equivalent water flow, but only if the correct pump is selected.
· In another 2 words ‘cost effective’ - With very few moving parts centrifugal pumps provide great value for money.
· Simple and reliable – Often the motor direct drives the impellor via a mechanical seal.
· Compact – The simple design also offers compact packaging.
· Choice – There are 100’s of centrifugal pump manufacturers producing everything to from the very highest quality to absolute garbage, in a wide range of metals and plastics. Pump & Machinery offer the world’s best, including: Grundfos, Packo, Sulzer and Warman. We can also supply Carver, Davies, Davey, Ebara, JEC, KSB, Lowara, March, Onga, SPX, Standard, Truflo, Wilo, Xylem
· High flow – We have pumps suitable for almost all flow requirements.
· Hygienic capable – easy to CIP and washdown but beware of cavitation.
· Solids and Abrasive particles – some specialised centrifugal pumps are designed to handle small to medium solids and or abrasive particles.
Centrifugal pumps are most often associated with pumping clean water but specialised versions can pump contaminated water, fuel, chemicals, foods, etc.
Disadvantages can include difficulties measuring flow, difficulties creating suction lift, they can cause high shear (no good for pumping paint), cavitation can severely shorten the life of the impellor, The pump needs to be correctly sized to operate efficiently and they cannot pump high viscosity fluids.
To ensure that the right centrifugal pump is specified for your application give the specialists a call